Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Words Matter

Here's a link to the full text of Obama's inauguration speech. Much of it is well-written. Some phrases jumped out at me while I was listening to it on streaming video today during my lunch hour:Add Image

"The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

Meanwhile, the news reports that as one of his first presidential acts, Barack Obama is planning to lift a ban on federal money going to international family planning groups that support and provide abortions. He is also considering lifting restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.

Please pray that President Obama will take the words of his own inauguration speech to heart and apply them to the unborn. For the good of the United States and of the world, I pray that he will be a good President.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was those phrases you highlighted that really struck me as I listened to his address. They struck me as so ironic. I'm trying to figure out exactly where he stands. If he really believes what he says, then it shouldn't take much for him to become pro-life. And I am really hoping and praying for that. But it's like he has the abortion agenda stuck in his craw and just won't let it go. It's so incompatible with all the values he talks about. On the other hand, he may just be a two-faced politician who can't be taken at his word. I hope not, but... In any case, I don't understand why so many people look at him so uncritically. I want to be optimistic, but I'm also really, really apprehensive.