Saturday, March 22, 2008

Freshly Shriven & Ready!

Being the procrastinator that I am, I of course waited till Holy Saturday to go to confession, even though there were ample opportunities before and during Lent. I drove to my parish, which I hoped was sticking to their regular confession schedule: Saturdays from 4:15 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. - we don’t sin a lot in my parish… ;) The doors were closed. I drove to the next closest parish, and arrived there during their regular confession time. Not open. Serves me right for waiting till the last minute, I thought. These poor priests are already stretched thin and right now they’re probably preparing for the Easter Vigil services.

Fortunately, I found a parish through the internet that was definitely having confessions on Holy Saturday (it said so on their website), and I still had time to get there if I hurried. I made it down there with fifteen minutes to spare and parked in the one spot left on the street (I asked Padre Pio to help me parallel park, since I'm not very good at it - I slipped right in to the spot!). The Church was open but empty, except for Father who was sitting outside the confessional waiting. He was very kind during my confession and took some time to counsel me as well. I asked him if he’d had a lot of people come during their confessional hour. He said I’d been the only one! Maybe not so surprising since most people probably didn’t wait till the last moment like I did. Anyway, I was so grateful to find a priest available right before Easter. My soul is shriven - Thank You, Lord! :)

No comments: